- Cost: $200 (includes meals, notebook, certificate, 2 t-shirts, hat, and belt buckle)
- Orientation - Course Week #1: 8:30am–11:30am on Saturday, May 3, 2014 (Greater Cleveland Council Service Center, 2241 Woodland Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115)
- Orientation - Course Week #2: 12:30pm–3:30pm on Saturday, May 3, 2014 (Greater Cleveland Council Service Center, 2241 Woodland Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115)
- Course Location: Beaumont Scout Reservation (2429 North State Route 45, Rock Creek, Ohio 44084)
- Course Week #1 arrival time: 9:30am–10:00am on Sunday, June 8, 2014
- Closing Assembly (parents welcome): 10:30am on Saturday, June 14, 2014
- Departure time: 11:00am on Saturday, June 14, 2014
- Course Week #2 arrival time: 9:30am–10:00am on Sunday, June 15, 2014
- Closing Assembly (parents welcome): 10:30am on Saturday, June 21, 2014
- Departure time: 11:00am on Saturday, June 21, 2014
National Youth Leadership Training models a month in the life of a troop: three meetings (one each day for the first three days of the course) followed by an outdoor experience (an overnight outpost camp). The course leverages the patrol method and demonstrates model meetings of the Patrol Leaders Council.
Early in the week, patrols are challenged to develop a "Quest for the Meaning of Leadership" which they will present to the troop at the end of the week. The challenge is designed to lead patrol members through the four stages of team development, helping patrols and individual Scouts internalize the leadership skills and concepts presented during the course.
Throughout the week, staff members model the concepts and skills which comprise the core course content. Each session focuses not only the "what," but also the "how," giving participants a "Toolbox of Leadership Skills."
In order to attend NYLT, a youth must meet the following requirements by the start of the course:
- Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be at least 13 years of age or have completed the seventh grade; fall within the maximum age allowance for their program; be at least a First Class Scout and have completed Troop Leadership Training (TLT).
- Venturing youth must be at least 14 years of age and have completed Venturing Leadership Skills Course or Crew Leadership Training.
- All participants must have Scoutmaster or unit leader recommendation.
In addition, participants are expected to attend an orientation session at
the Council Service Center on Saturday, May 3, 2014 from 8:30am
until 11:30am (Course Week #1) or Saturday, May 3, 2014 from 12:30pm
until 3:30pm (Course Week #2).
Participant Registration & Orientation